The ruins of Linlithgow Palace are situated in the town of
Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland, 15 miles (24 km) west of Edinburgh. The
palace was one of the principal residences of the monarchs of Scotland in the
15th and 16th centuries. Although maintained after Scotland's monarchs left for
England in 1603, the palace was little used, and was burned out in 1746. It is
now a visitor attraction in the care of Historic Scotland.