Nafplio, Peloponnese, Greece

Nafplio is a seaport town in the Peloponnese in Greece that has expanded up the hillsides near the north end of the Argolic Gulf. The town was an important seaport held under a succession of royal houses in the Middle Ages, first as part of the Duchy of Athens under the house De La Roche - Angelos - Komnenos following the Fourth Crusade, then under Aragonese nobility, the Republic of Venice and, lastly, the Ottoman Empire. The town was the capital of the First Hellenic Republic, from the start of the Greek Revolution in 1821 until 1834. Nafplio is now the capital of the regional unit of Argolis.


Post a Comment